Friday, July 8, 2011

My Grandmother's Burial


The main reason for our trip up to SF was to attend my Grandmother's burial service. We lost her about 3 months ago, suddenly and unexpectedly.

She was cremated and we all gathered together to lower her ashes into the ground, next to her father in the plots they'd purchased years ago.


My father and my uncle Keith both spoke at the burial. My grandfather shared a few words as well before we added notes, stories, and all dropped our roses into the grave.


My aunt brought balloons for all of the grandchildren to release at the end of the service. Of course they were patriotic.. just like my grandmother was.



In some ways, this finalizes things.. but in other ways it just brought us all back to the reality that she isn't here anymore. She wasn't there to share in the party on Monday.. she wasn't there to organize everything and keep everything moving. She wasn't there to laugh with, or poke fun at, or fall asleep on the couch with...

It's just different. And we all miss her very much.


No comments:

Post a Comment