Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Eggshells: for your face?

I did it. I ground my eggshells into powder Monday night.. it wasn't the easiest task, but I think I came up with something fine enough to work...

Here is what happened.

I started with 16-20 eggshells, I'm not sure how many I had exactly, and let them dry out for a few days before doing anything with them.

In retrospect, I think I would have gone in and removed the little thin liner inside the eggshells and washed them a little more thoroughly. I might even pop them in the oven and let them bake up a bit if I try this again in the future. But, this time, I just rinsed them and let them dry.

Then. I crushed them. With whatever I had on hand. I actually don't remember.

Then time got away from me and I let them sit in that little bag for about a week or so. This may have been a bad idea. And this may have been when it developed a strange.. odor.... it's really not that pleasant.

Next time, I'll do everything at the same time, and make sure everything is dried and aired out before I begin the process.

Next.. I put the shells in my handy dandy magic bullet..


But the result still wasn't fine enough. I don't really think face powder should pulverize your face.. right?

So, I tried my aunt's mortar and pestle..


That helped a little, but it was not at all practical. She mentioned she had an old coffee grinder that she used to grind up spices.. So. I popped everything in there, ground it all up.

After that final process, I poured everything through a sieve (which is where much of the little "liner" bits were separated as well as any remaining grainy pieces) and had a pretty fine powder.


It's still not what you'd find in a store, and when I put it on this morning, a lot of the little grainy bits were visible and fell onto my clothes. I'm not sure how to get it finer than it is.

I will say that it's been about 8 hours and my skin is not shiny.. but I never much paid attention to the longevity of my store bought powder, so that may not be saying much.

The jury is still out. I'm going to experiment with it a little more.. and see how things go :)

No comments:

Post a Comment