Thursday, April 7, 2011

My Grandmother's Funeral


I suppose I should have written about this last week but I couldn't bring myself to do it.

It's funny, going back to your life after something like that. I didn't live near my grandmother, so in some ways.. it sort of feels the same as before, until all of a sudden you're hit with the realization that "actually no.. it's not the same."

Yesterday, I was reminded of her all day long.

My Uncle posted something about her on the blog we created for her, written by Bart Gragg: "We Lost A Great Lady This Week." ..friends called to check in on me, to ask me how my family was. Thank you :) Thank you all for your support and for loving us. And I spoke with my Aunt and we shared with each other how we're processing things, differently, in our own ways. How it still feels surreal.. how it feels abnormal to be adjusting back into our daily routines.


At the funeral, there was a giant board with her photo in the middle.. and people were encouraged to write down one word that reminded them of her. I wrote "SHOES!" My 6 year old cousin, Judy, wrote "Butter!!!!!!" and the list went on and on and on.. Above are some of the words others wrote.. "Encourager" "A witty, wonderful woman" "Spontaneous!"



top right: My dad spoke at the funeral, as did several family members.. It really was a great time to be together and to tell stories about her, to laugh and cry and remember.

bottom right: I wore her shoes to the funeral. They were her favorite ones (or at least that's what she said to me..) It's a funny thing, to slip into someone else's shoes.. But, I always loved that we wore the same size, and she was always showing off her new purchases to me (and I did the same to her.) I know she would have wanted me to have them and enjoy them, so they live in my closet now :)

I don't know how to end this, other than to say that I miss her. I'm so grateful for the time I was able to spend with my family the past week, as crowded and chaotic as it was at times. I love you all and I know Grama would have been so proud of the party that we threw for her that day.

love love love.

No comments:

Post a Comment