Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Goodbye Shampoo: Day 1


I tried to give up shampoo once before, but I didn't last very long. I have since realized that there are several different ways to kick the shampoo habit.. so, here we go with another experiment!

Yesterday, I washed my hair with what seems to be the most popular "no-poo"method which is made up of a baking soda wash and an apple cider vinegar rinse.

I mixed up a tbsp of baking soda with 8oz of water in a bottle with a pointed tip (from my stash of haircoloring supplies) and applied the mixture to my scalp.. and then SCRUBBED it in as best as I could. After rinsing, I put a tbsp of apple cider vinegar in to the bottle and filled the rest up with water. I then applied the ACV rinse to the ends of my hair (trying to avoid my scalp if at all possible) and let it sit for 5 minutes before I rinsed it out.

I normally have to apply some sort of cream, oil or serum to my hair to tame the frizz and the curls but last night I didn't add anything to it, and my curls are nice and defined today.. and it's surprisingly not greasy but this is only day one..


I've heard mixed reviews about the method however.. and last time I tried to make the switch, it just got too greasy and it wasn't fun anymore (I'm a wimp). I also saw another option on pinterest last week.. and I really want to try it as well: coconut milk + liquid castille soap


I don't really enjoy the baking soda process, and I already have some Dr. Bronner's soap at home. So, maybe I'll try this next. It may be an easier/gentler transition than just relying on baking soda anyway..

...does coconut milk have to be refrigerated?

I do miss my conditioner. We'll see how it goes.

Day ONE: check.

3 comments:

  1. I love how earth you are, homegirl. I cannot wait to hear how the rest of the trial run goes. If I didn't have like 20 bottles of shampoo and conditioner in the closet (mother in law stocks up), I just might join ya! haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. You go girl! I know there's a"hump day"you have to get over from what I've read about the process...hope it goes smoothly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yea.. the dreaded "transition period". That's what stopped me from continuing before. It's hard to find a good one to two month chunk of time where you don't care if your hair looks and feels awful and greasy. But, I'm more optimistic this go around, and really curious about the coconut milk option.. I'll keep you posted :)

    ReplyDelete