Friday, April 2, 2010

A STUDENT STYLIST + A LONG MORNING = AN EMOTIONALLY EXHAUSTED ME

Where do I even BEGIN.

Okay.
I have been in Orange County for.. just about 2 months now.
I haven’t had my hair cut since I’ve been here.
I should rephrase that.
I haven’t had my hair cut by a professional since I’ve been here.
I’ve cut my hair twice.
And I’ve colored it twice.
Because I can’t help myself.

I decided, however, that it was wrong to live a life knowing I can’t straighten my hair because the back looks like someone took a chainsaw to it. Oh, the beauty of the camoflauging capabilities of curls.
So, I made an appointment. With a level 2 stylist. At a reputable beauty school.

I have had some bad experiences with hair… and because I love to change it so much, I’ve become somewhat of a high maintenance client. I’m not ashamed to admit this.

My appointment was at 10:30. By my calculations, I should have been done around 11:30-12 (giving them 2-3 times the length of time a normal haircut should require) just in time to grab lunch and continue on with my day. I didn’t eat before I went. That turned out to be a mistake. I suppose I can at least take responsibility for that much.

While sitting there, waiting for my name to be called, I took note of the different stylists, their style, their fabulous hair, and their energy. They were all good. I talked myself out of being nervous, and convinced myself that maybe this would be fun and that they’re under the guidance of professionals.. “I’ll be fine.”

Then my name is called.
And my stylist is.. the oldest one in the room.
that’s fine right.. she just decided later in life that she wanted to pursue this. I bet she has a great work ethic.
Except.. she has really bad hair.
maybe she’s like those designers/artists who can’t dress themselves or hold a conversation for anything but WOW they do some great work.. maybe??
But, she’s kind of awkward.
stop being so negative. give her a chance!

So she takes me to the back of the room and seats me in the chair.

“What are we going to do today?”
I looked at the paper she set on the table… it said my cut was $12…
SHE’S A LEVEL ONE STYLIST?! WHAT HAVE I GOTTEN MYSELF INTO????
so I sighed.
And I tried to be as descriptive as possible.. telling her that I don’t want anything drastic and I just want a trim and the shape adjusted a bit… mostly the layers in the back.. and I braced myself for the worst haircut of my life.


TO BE CONTINUED…

No comments:

Post a Comment