Sunday, April 19, 2009

Who is Your Google?

My grandmother writes a monthly newsletter for the Sunday School class she and my grandfather are a part of. She told me she was writing this months based on something I said about my dad: 'You are my google."

My mom forwarded the article to me this morning:



WHO'S YOUR GOOGLE?

A few weeks ago I fell victim to the “Facebook”craze, thanks to my granddaughter. I now have friends around the world – some I have met and some I haven’t. Since I am still trying to remember how to get into that site, I can’t say I am growing by leaps and bounds into that techie part of the world, but it is challenging.

One of the things they request is that you list 25 things about you that maybe everyone doesn’t know or that you just want to share. My granddaughter honored me and her mother by listing us as 2 of her favorite people. Her mother I could understand but I felt very surprised that I was there also. I know we are alike in many ways. We both love shoes; she is very smart – I am OK; we both love shoes; she is very disciplined – I am fly by the seat of your pants; but we both love shoes; she is very talented in music, art and following directions – I on the other hand am not; but did I mention that we both love shoes?

Because anyone and everyone can read these entries, I wasn’t surprised when I saw her dad’s response – such as “What About Me?” Her answer was priceless. “But Dad, you are my Google!!”

And he is and always has been. He has always been a hands-on dad, but kept 2 steps back. He seems to know something about everything and has directed his kids to learn and follow their heart, but that education is very important. Not just school education. Education about life. Everything from training the dog (which drives me nuts), to golf (he beat Gus and Pastor Fred at the Convey of Hope tournament), to religion, to music, to checking the car, to always trying to be the best you can but don’t let someone else’s goals be your driving force.

Some of you may remember a few years ago when she came to class with me. She was here for a vacation with my other grandson and had gone to Shasta Lake on a houseboat. She was supposed to go back home to Oregon but on their way back, the car she was riding in skidded, whipped across the 4 lanes of the highway, rolled 5 or 6 times down an embankment and stopped upside down. Cars immediately stopped, helped them out and sent them all to the hospital. By the time she got to my house she was very upset. Not because she was hurt or because of the accident, but because she felt her dad was mad at her. When I talked to my daughter, she could understand Jennifer’s concern because Terry had sounded very abrupt – not because he was mad at anything she had done, but reality had set in regarding how fast your whole life could be turned upside down and he hurt for his daughter.

I have thought of this “Google” status and realized that we all need a Google in our lives. Someone we can count on. Someone who uses wisdom when needed. Someone who can think very clearly and not judge. Someone who wants us to succeed as much as we want. Do you have a Google?

I also think we need a couple of other people. We all need a ‘Red Skelton’. Someone who will make us laugh and sincerely say at the end of our conversation, just as he always said at the end of his show, “And May God Bless.”

We could also use a ‘Mother Theresa”. Someone who sees what needs to be done and goes about doing it. No questions. No judgments. Just get the job done.

Who are you to others? Who are your friends to you? Every friend fills a need we have and hopefully we do the same for them. Think about who you are – and set out to be better.

See you in class. Have a great week.

Harold and Jo Ann Juhala
(I really do like shoes!!

4 comments:

  1. That's the sweetest thing!

    P.S.-- Mark June 20th on your calendar. I'm supposed to photograph a wedding and if you're around I'd love for you to help! Let me know if you'd be interested!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You rolled in a car?? Jeez Jen, when was this??

    ReplyDelete
  3. that's really sweet. i remember when you showed me the pics of that accident. i think you can see them in one of her facebook albums too, lulu:) you survived something fierce!

    ReplyDelete